Mr. Larry N. Sanchez: Mathematics Department Chair, Algebra I, Geometry, Calculus
• BS in Mechanical Engineering from UNM
• MA in Curriculum and leadership from the College of Santa Fe
• After working 25 years in various industries, from aerospace to semiconductor as an engineer, he took up the vocation of teaching. He brings his knowledge of engineering in to the classroom.
• He is the father of two St. Pius alumni and has two more going through the system.
• He has been a teacher at St. Pius for over 3 years
• BA in Music with a minor in Education (Wagner College)
• MS in Math Education (College of Staten Island)
• 19 years of teaching experience in New York and New Mexico
Mrs. Barbara Ducaj: Honors PreCalculus, Assistant Principal
• 1979 St. Pius X graduate
• BS in Mathematics
• MA in Educational Leadership
• BA in Secondary Education with endorsement in Mathematics
• Married to Steven Fattor, class of ’79, since 1988. Have four children: Brian, ’08, Kristen, ’10, Sean, ’12, and Caitlin, ’14.
• Over ten years teaching experience in Catholic schools: St. Pius X High School, math teacher; San Felipe, teaching assistant; Queen of Heaven, long term substitute in middle school; Regular substitute teacher at various Catholic schools in the metropolitan area.
• Previous job experience with the Army Corps Of Engineers, United States Air Force, and Marine Corps. As a civilian employee at administrative and technical levels.
Mr. Will Gater: Trig/Funct, Algebra II/Trig
• 2000 St. Pius X graduate
• Member of 1999 State Championship in football
• 2005 UNM graduate with a BS in Math Education
• Make a Difference Teacher Award - St. Pius X in 2007
Mr. James Penn: Honors Algebra/Geometry, AP Calculus, Academic Decathlon
• Graduate of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology with a Major in Mathematics, Minors in Chemistry and Psychology
• 1991 Valedictorian at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
• Master of Science Teaching Degree, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, 1994
• Coach of Academic Decathlon team at St. Pius X, 1992 to present. Coached more State Championship teams than anyone else in New Mexico history, and has best record of any New Mexico high school at the National Finals, including earning the National Championship of Division III in 1999, the National Championship of Super Quiz Relay in Rhode Island in 1998, third place team in Division II in Anchorage in 2001, and four students medaling and winning scholarships in Anaheim in 2008.
• AP Calculus Teacher at St. Pius X, 1996- present. Has record of 70 to 100 percent of students passing the National AP Calculus Examination for 11 years running, including a Latino/Hispanic student rate of passing that is more than double the national average. Selected to serve on College Board panel of calculus teachers for input on how to help Hispanic and Latino students succeed in calculus, 2000.
• Courses taught at St. Pius X over career: Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and Trigonometry, Physical Science, Chemistry, Honors Algebra and Geometry, AP Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and academic competitions.
• Hobbies and interests include strategy card games, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Star Trek, and sports. Mr. Penn was the #1 American player of Wizard Cards in the United States in 2007, based on results of the World Championship held in Niagara Falls, Canada. He also took four former and current students to the U.S. National Championship of Wizard Cards in 2009 where he and they all made the Final Table and won cash prizes for their skilled play.
Mrs. Diana Perea: Algebra I, Statistics and AP Statistics
• BS, Electrical Engineering, along with graduate level courses in Computer Engineering
• MA in Education
• Five years experience as a middle school and elementary school teacher at St. Mary’s Catholic School in Albuquerque
• Before transitioning to teaching, I worked as an electrical engineer at the Air Force Research Laboratory
• St. Pius X Alumna
• BA in Secondary Education (Math) New Mexico State University
•18 years of experience teaching middle school math in Catholic schools in Albuquerque (10 years at Annunciation and 8 years at Holy Ghost).