8th Grade at Pius
We are a non-parish school, therefore, we do not receive subsidies.
Pre-HSPT (Placement Test)
The HSPT requires about 4 hours to complete, and tests verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, math skills, language arts skills, and science. Students should bring two no. 2 pencils, a bottle of water, and a snack. Calculators are not allowed.
All applicants must take a placement test. The placement test for grade 8 will be the Pre-HSPT exam. This exam is the 7th grade version of the HSPT exam, which is what we use for placement into grade 9. This test is used to determine placement, it is not an admissions test. Transcripts, current standardized test scores and teacher/principal/counselor recommendations are used to determine acceptance.
Upcoming placement test date:
Saturday, April 22, from 8 AM - 12 PM
Students will need to report to the east entrance of St. Francis Hall on the St. Pius X campus by 7:45 am on your selected testing day. Students will check in at the Main Office and will be assigned to their testing room. Choose a date to take the placement exam by completing an application for admission by clicking here. Testing options are found on the “Additional Information” tab of the application.
For questions about the placement test, contact Martina Ruiz, Registrar, [email protected] or at 505-831-8409.
The Inaugural Class
We are hosting our first presentation regarding the new 8th grade this Monday, February 6th at 7:00 pm in the St. Pius X Library. Pre-Applications are coming in fast so we anticipate filling the inaugural class quickly. We will do an early acceptance process, which is conditional until all final paperwork is complete. We know that our families need to make decisions as soon as possible, and we are ready to expedite the process. The topics that will be discussed on Monday night include the following:
Academics: Curriculum, Schedule, and Academic Options
- We will have the regular track for college prep and an honors track
- 8th graders will have access to all of the same state of the art lab facilities, art facilities, and resources available to the high schoolers.
Student Life: Policies, Uniforms, Student Culture, and our Faith Life as a Catholic School
- The uniform for 8th grade will be the same uniform as the high school.
- The 8th grade students will have their own designated class area on campus, and only the 8th grade students will be able to access their area with their student badges.
- 8th grade will have a separate lunch period each day and 8th grade social events and retreats are just for their class. 8th grade students may not attend high school dances.
Extracurricular activities: Athletics, Arts, Leadership
- Athletics: 8th grade students may participate in the following high school sports/athletic programs, primarily at the C team level
Basketball (Boys & Girls)
Cross Country (Boys & Girls)
Golf (Boys & Girls)
|Soccer (Boys & Girls)
Tennis (Boys & Girls)
Track & Field (Boys & Girls)
Water Polo (Boys & Girls)
Wrestling (Boys & Girls)
Swimming (Boys & Girls)
- Arts: Theater, Choir, Band, Orchestra, and Art competitions
Placement tests will be administered to all incoming 8th graders. This is necessary to complete the admissions process and to help us to determine the level in which students will be placed in English and Math classes. The placement test dates are: Saturday, February 11th and Saturday, February 25th from 8:00 am - 11:15 am. If neither date works for your child to test, please contact Martina Ruiz at [email protected]
Sincerely in Christ,
Head of School
Meitler Expansion Study
A sincere thank you to all who participated in the Meitler Expansion Study regarding our Catholic Schools. We received several hundred responses to the survey beyond our goal. The report and its results reflect the views of our families across the greater Albuquerque area. The data provided by the Expansion Study have helped the Board of Trustees of St. Pius X High School Inc. to make a strategic decision that serves families who seek a Catholic education.
The summary statement of the Meitler Expansion Study was
"The enrollment potential based on survey response data shows a sufficient number of children to open and sustain a new middle school at St. Pius X High school at this time in addition to opening an 8th grade in the fall of the 2023 - 2024 school year. Based on the data and information in this comprehensive study, Meitler recommends that the next phase of planning could be undertaken to develop a middle school program. A significant part of the next phase of planning needs to consider the impact on the current Catholic middle school programs and ways to lessen the immediate impact."
The important findings of the Meitler Report are:
- The final database included 875 unique households. 600 respondents were from households with children in 12th grade or younger.
- 639 respondents were registered in 26 of the local Catholic parishes, 136 were Catholic, but not registered, 41 were other Christian denominations, and 59 were not members of a church.
- 43% of the respondents were from zip codes, entirely or partially west of the Rio Grande in the city of Albuquerque, where there are no Catholic parochial school s.
- According to Meitler, "St. Pius X is willing and well-positioned in terms of planning and facilities to undertake an addition of more students and develop a new middle school program. A new elementary school would require more modifications in terms of facilities. "Therefore, opening middle school is the best decision at this stage.
- A large majority of the respondents believe that a Catholic school is an effective way to help parents educate their children in the Catholic faith, is an essential ministry of the Catholic Church's faith formation programs, and is justified in cost to build and operate.
- Respondents' top five factors in deciding to enroll are:
- Competent and qualified faculty
- Communication between school and parents
- Safe and secure learning environment
- Academic excellence
- Personal attention for my child
- 61% of respondents either would likely enroll or definitely enroll, compared to 13% who were neutral, and 26% who would unlikely enroll or definitely not enroll.
- An estimated 10-16% of respondents currently in 7th grade in a K-8 parochial school would "definitely enroll or likely enroll" in St Pius for eighth grade for the 2023-24 school year.
The Board of Trustees of St. Pi us X High School, Inc. has unanimously approved the decision to move forward on opening an eighth grade for the 2023 - 2024 school year. In order to give time for this transition and to manage the impact on the K-8 parochial schools, St. Pius X High School will review the impact of the opening of the eighth grade before approving adding sixth and seventh grades. St. Pius X High School will start presentations about the eighth grade, with the first presentation on February 6th at 7:00 pm in the St. Pius X High School Library. If you are interested in learning more about our new program, please go to our website at saintpiusx.com and click the link and fill out the information requested. An email with information on future presentations, and with links to the academic, artistic, faith life, and athletic programs, as well as the application will be sent out later this week. In our efforts to gather more students from outside our current Catholic schools, we appreciate your help in recruiting students and welcome them to a Catholic education on Albuquerque's westside.
Sincerely in Christ,
Fr. John Trambley
Head of School
8th Grade in the News